Title: Vessel Operations
Date Posted: April 1, 2021
Deadline: April 30, 2021
Position: Full Time
Status: Non- Exempt- Hourly
Reports: Senior Tech Support
The Dauphin Island Sea Lab (DISL) is seeking applicants for a full-time position in the Vessel Operations (Vessels) and Marine Technical Support (Tech Support) Departments. Vessels oversee DISL’s fleet of research vessels which includes daily operation and maintenance. Tech Support is an in-house resource for faculty, students, and staff that supports research and education through traditional field methods, the development of new data collection methods, and scientific diving. Tech Support also maintains the Alabama Real-time Coastal Observing System (ARCOS), an offshore data collection buoy, and the on-campus wet lab and mesocosm facilities. During our summer season, these two departments work closely in conjunction with our University program to ensure that students and faculty have needed equipment and personnel aboard educational and research cruises.
- Serve as Deckhand during Vessel trips
- Configure, deploy, retrieve and maintain oceanographic instrumentation during research trips
- Assist in vessel operations
- Maintenance of research vessels (including small engine repair)
- Assisting Research lead Technician with station operations
- Work with Tech support and Vessels in various projects
Review of applicants will begin April 10 until April 30. Those submitted after April 30th will not be considered.
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s license
- Valid vessel license and experience trailering and operating small vessels.
- Background in basic mechanical and electrical principles
- Computer/software competency (MS Office, Google products, networking/internet protocols)
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Able to carry 50 lbs. unaided 100 yards.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Bachelor’s in Marine Science or a related field
- Small engine repair experience/certification
- Familiarity with marine sampling equipment/instrumentation
- Interest in Marine Sciences, Oceanography, or related disciplines Programming experience (MATLAB, Python, Arduino, etc.)
Please submit a CV/Resume, a list of at least 3 professional references, and a cover letter stating qualifications and interest in the position to email@example.com.
If you have any questions concerning the position, please contact Joshua Goff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 251-861-2141 ext.: 7531 Mon-Friday 9-4 pm CST (email preferred).