Title: Discovery Hall Programs Seasonal Environmental Educator
Date Posted: March 25, 2021
Deadline: Review of Applications begins April 10, 2021
Discovery Hall Programs (DHP) at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab (DISL) anticipates hiring 2 seasonal (temporary) environmental educators to assist with their summer programs.
Position Overview: DHP is the education and outreach group at the DISL, the marine research, and education facility for the state. DHP hosts an active summer program of marine science-oriented field programs including day and overnight camps for school-age children, a month-long residential class in marine science for high school students, and professional development for classroom and informal educators. Seasonal educators will work with DHP’s full-time education staff implementing field-based and hands-on activities including boat trips; salt marsh, beach, and forest excursions; ROV construction and deployment, fishing and crabbing, plankton sampling, water quality sampling, and a variety of other marine science-focused activities.
Duration: May 27 to August 5, 2021. Full-time, temporary.
Primary job functions:
- Deliver established programs for outdoor field classes and activities to school-age children
- Provide environmental education on natural history and STEM topics outside and on occasion, in the classroom
- Work with Marine Educators implementing field-based and hands on-on activities including boat trips, floating classrooms/vessels, small boats, and kayak trips; salt marsh, beach, and forest excursions
- ROV construction and deployments
- Fishing and crabbing, plankton sampling, water quality sampling
- Conduct outreach to local area communities
Salary: Hourly wages are commensurate with experience. Individuals will be hired through Clark’s Personnel Service.
- At least 21 years of age
- Valid State Driver’s License and clean driving record
- Ability to pass and comply with all drug testing policies and procedures including background test
- Availability to work any shift, days, weekends, and some holidays
- Ability to work in a team environment or independently.
- Ability to work in a professional manner with a diverse group of people
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, Google, ect)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- CPR and 1st aid certification
- CDL Class B with School Bus certification
- Marine science knowledge, including Gulf coast species
- Kayaking experience and certification
- COVID-19 vaccinated
Education: Undergraduate degree (BA, BS) in Marine Science, Biology or Secondary Science Education
To apply, please submit a cover letter, current CV, or resume, along with at least 3 references (names and contact information) to
Seasonal Educator, Discovery Hall Programs
101 Bienville Blvd.
Dauphin Island, AL, 36528
Email a pdf of all materials to DiscoveryHallJobs@disl.org, with Seasonal Educator positions in the subject line.
Contact us with additional questions or concerns at email@example.com, 251-861-2141, 7515.
The review of applications will begin on April 10, 2021.
The Dauphin Island Sea Lab is an EOE/AA/M/F/D employer.